Portions: 15 tacos
Preparation time: 35 min
Cooking time: 3h20
Ingredients & Quantities:
- 1 pork shoulder (about 1.5 kg)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Tex-Mex spices (or your choice of spices)
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) La Funky des Fit Sauces
Tortillas & Fillings
- 15 corn tortillas, hot
- ¼ pineapple, cut into cubes
- ¼ red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 lime (juice only)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
- 150 g feta, crumbled
- Cut the pork shoulder into very large pieces.
- With a drizzle of oil, coat the pork pieces with the spices.
- In a pot over high heat, sear the pieces of pork for 2 minutes on each side. Add the chicken broth and bring everything to a boil. Cover, adjust the heat to low and simmer for 3 hours, making sure to maintain a low boil.
- Using two forks, shred the meat into a pulled pork. Adjust the heat to medium and continue cooking uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Adjust seasoning with S&P, if necessary.
- At the end of cooking, add La Funky des Fit Sauces and mix well to coat. To book.
- In a mason jar, put the cabbage and lime juice. Shake well and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, put the pineapple cubes. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Assemble the tacos with the tortillas, pulled pork, grilled pineapple cubes, red cabbage pickles, feta and cilantro.
Fit Cook Tip:You can of course use a store-bought Tex-Mex spice blend. However, many of them are crammed with salt, so you'll have to adjust with the amounts along the way. Personally, I always have a mason jar with my homemade Tex-Mex spice blend in the cupboard! This way I know exactly what I'm eating, adjust it to my taste, and control how much salt I use myself. Here is my recipe:
-8 c. (100 mL) chili powder
-6 c. (75 ml) paprika
-4 c. (60 ml) salt
-4 c. (60 mL) onion powder
-4 c. (60 mL) dried oregano
-3 c. (45 ml) pepper
-2 tsp. (30 mL) garlic powder
-2 tsp. (30 mL) ground cumin
-1 C. (15 mL) cayenne